Call for Scripts for the Austin Latino New Play Festival
Submission Deadline Friday January 17, 2014
The 2014 Austin Latino New Play Festival (ALNPF) takes place May 8-10, 2014 8 pm 3 nights, 3 new plays at the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Culture Center, 600 River Street, Austin TX.
The Austin Latino New Play Festival, produced annually by Teatro Vivo, brings together playwrights and audience members for staged readings of new works and rich conversation, each running just one night. After each reading, the playwright, director and actors participate in moderated talkback sessions with the audience.
What is the process for Austin Latino New Play Festival (ALNPF)? The ALNPF provides an opportunity for Texas playwrights to hear, see, and receive feedback on their original works. The festival format brings together the playwright to work with a dramaturg, director, and actors to bring their play to life as a staged reading in front of an audience. The rehearsal process for each staged reading is approximately one week.
Guidelines for ALPNF scripts:
- The script is a work by a Latino(a) playwright or focused on the lives of Latino(a)s.
- The script is an original work.
- The script utilizes both the English and Spanish language.
- Scripts cannot have been produced or scheduled for full production before July 2014.
Playwrights selected will:
*be available and willing to collaborate with the dramaturg and the director that are selected to work with your play.
*be available on to attend the reading of their play, and participate in a facilitated talk back with the audience immediately after the reading. We encourage playwrights to attend all three readings of the festival, if possible.
- Playwrights will submit their script in a pdf file via email by Friday January 17, 2014 by midnight, with the submission information requested below.
- Teatro Vivo will select scripts to be read in the play festival.
- No payment, fee, stipend, actual or implied will be paid to the playwrights. Selected playwrights incur their own travel expenses. Possible housing in the homes of Teatro Vivo company members.
- Plays will be announced on or before midnight Friday March 7, 2014
Submit in a separate word doc: a brief biographical sketch and playwright background, Email address, Phone Number and Home address. Include a brief response to two questions in 200 words or less:
- What areas of your script are you still eager to explore and develop? What are your goals for this play festival process?
Submit to: joannreyes AT yahoo.com, rupertreyes AT yahoo.com